l

February 6, 2007

How to offend 40+ people and STILL laugh ....

A few years ago, in the aftermath of hurricanes Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne, I went to work for The Government.
We worked 7 days a week, 12+ hours a day.
Spending that much time with people, you NEED a good sense of humor.
We decorated for every holiday (real or imagined), threw impromptu "lunch parties", and tried in vain to maintain a sense of humor at all times.
I started in August of 2004, just after Hurricane Charley blew through.
By February of 2005, you could say that we were all a tad bit cuckoo for cocoa puffs.
We were all dog-ass tired, some of my co-workers ended up having some minor and major health issues, and we were just plain sick and tired of seeing each other.
I was 7 months pregnant in Feb 2005, and believe me, my own sense of humor was pretty much non-existent.
As I stood looking around at all the paper hearts, cupids, lace covered Valentines "mailboxes" and such, I decided that what we REALLY needed was a good shot of smart-assery humor.
I elected myself the Anti-Valentine.
I had no decorations in my work area, and I certainly did NOT have a mailbox for the influx of Valentines Day cards that were sure to appear.
Honestly, the place looked like some perpetually happy and bubbly kindergarten teacher had overtaken the joint.

When the big day arrived, I gave a signed copy of the this to everyone:



Guess what happened?
No one laughed.
"I started a joke, that started the whole world crying.".
(Ok, maybe not The World, but certainly, the office)

I was stunned.
Really.
I had people coming up to me ALL DAY telling me how much of an evil bitch I was.
How DARE I be so insensitive!

???????????

What did I do?
I LAUGHED.
Loud. Often. Maniacally.

It amazes me that ONE differing opinion can create such hostility.
The joke really WAS on them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here .....

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Who links to me?