l

April 4, 2007

Frankly Rhett, you can fuck right off!

That's what I would have said to him.
Margaret Mitchell was a much more civilized woman than I.

Katie Scarlett o'Hara was by far, one of the most cold hearted bitches ever.
Ruthless. Shrewed. Manipulative.
She was one of my first female idols. Still is.
Reading about her, and watching Vivien Leigh portray her, I was (still am) constantly in awe of the power she possessed.
She never let anyone or anything get the best of her.
In a time when women were perfecting their coquetries to procure an upstanding husband, Scarlett collected them brazenly and with no apologies.
She was lusty in all aspects of her life; food, drink, men.
She had no use for Motherhood, and defied women' s social roles by running her own business.
She raised herself, and her family up from the pits of poverty by using her sharp mind (and tongue!) and her own strength, both physical and mental.
She ended up alone in the end, but as Scarlett herself said, "tomorrow is another day."

There is so much power in that last, simple statement.
She was undoubtedly, pure evil. Not a redeeming quality in her.
But one can't help but admire her, and cheer for her.

Margaret Mitchell did such an amazing job of writing a character that you hate and love, and love to hate.
She captured the true essence of Feminism.
To me anyway.



Is it just me, or is there an uncanny resemblance between Vivien Leigh and the author?

1 Comments:

At 4/4/07, 7:45 PM , Blogger Harmony said...

I left a comment before, Norton Security came up and told me my computer was under attack and ALL of your comments from ALL of your posts vanished.


Arrrrggghhh!!!

 

Post a Comment

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here .....

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Who links to me?