l

October 23, 2011

Familiar path .....

I stepped outside into a cool, blustery and rainy night.
I climbed into my vehicle, turned the ignition and backed out of the drive.
I started down a road that I had traveled on many times.
I kept on the familiar route, knowing precisely the destination of my nights journey.

I swung my car into the drive, parked and sat.
Just for a moment, but long enough to collect my thoughts.
I opened the door, exited and started walking down the path to the front door.
With each step I took, another memory from the past came flooding into my head.
I felt my steps slow; my feet suddenly feeling like weights.

As I climbed the steps, I paused for a moment ....
My chest feeling tight, and in desperate need of air.
I opened the door and stepped inside.

Suddenly, I was transported back in time ......
To the 10 year old girl who first stepped in this place.
Then to the teenager who spent far too much time in this place.
Then to the eager bride-to-be who had to extend her vacation to be in this place
Finally, to the new mother who was stunned to find herself there yet again.
All the memories layering themselves one on the other.

I took a few tentative steps forward and turned my head to the left.
That is where I saw him.
Dressed in his finest.
Surrounded by family and friends.
He looked so calm ...
So peaceful.

I took a deep breath ....
Stepped forward .....
said my final goodbye and paid my respects.

I turned quickly and practically ran out of that place.
I had already "given" enough of my precious time to being in it ....
Kaisers Funeral Home.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 10/23/11, 9:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been there.....to many times. Don't care for it, but, it's what we do. XO

 
At 10/23/11, 9:38 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

I'm sorry and I understand. but good for you for paying your respects.

 
At 10/24/11, 12:43 AM , Blogger Buffalo said...

A sharp knife slicing through the ribs and into the heart.

 
At 10/24/11, 11:55 AM , Anonymous daisyfae said...

lovely words for a difficult moment...

 
At 10/24/11, 7:08 PM , Blogger morningstar said...

hugs

 
At 10/25/11, 7:16 PM , Blogger BlazngScarlet said...

NIXABN: Yes, it's what we do.

BOXER: Thanks.

BUFFALO: Exactly!

DAISYFAE: Thank you.

MORNINGSTAR: =)

 

Post a Comment

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here .....

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Who links to me?