l

November 19, 2012

Rocky Monday ....

Happy pre-Thanksgiving y'all!
I know for many people this week is crazy.
Myself included.

However, the lovely Serendipity has chosen a most interesting theme for this week, and I couldn't resist!
She asked us to write about a particular rock formation that we love.
Maybe even inspired us.

I knew right away that I wanted to write about my most favorite place in the world ......
Niagara Falls.
Niagara originates from the Neutral Indian name "Ongniaahra"
meaning "Thunder of Waters".

I have written about it's awesomeness on a few occasions.
No matter how old I get, I am still awed by it's power and beauty.
Visiting the Falls renews my spirit.

Back in 1969, the Mighty Niagara's water flow was stopped so that the Army Corps of Engineers could assess
just how much erosion was occurring and to clear out some of the broken rocks at the bottom.
Of course, scientists also took samples of the river bed, mosses, etc.

So, my Haiku for this week is of Niagara Falls WITHOUT the water.
Still beautiful, grand and powerful (in my opinion)














Unnatural sight
Even the Mighty is frail
Till the river flows

This is what we're all used to seeing:























I am still in awe.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 11/19/12, 7:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great subject! I may have known that they did that, but must have forgotten they did.

Serendipity

 
At 11/19/12, 8:13 PM , Blogger Karl said...

Good evening BlazngScarlet,

How many old barrels do you suppose they found when they dewatered?

All the best of the Thanksgiving Holiday to you.

 
At 11/20/12, 5:07 AM , Anonymous daisyfae said...

oddly enough, i was there in 1969 when they were "turned off". i was 7 years old, and it was our grand family vacation to canada! although i don't remember what it looked like, i DO remember Dad telling us that they'd turned off the falls for repairs.... and even as a kid i thought "WTF?"

 
At 12/2/12, 11:08 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

An interesting wee post hen, thanks.

 
At 12/2/12, 8:40 PM , Blogger Aunty Belle said...

wow--gorgeous pictures!!

How ya be? I ahve missed the Haiku MOnday's--Monday's are rough round heah. But...I like yore entries.

 
At 12/2/12, 8:41 PM , Blogger Aunty Belle said...

oh brother--I ain't tipsy, jes' need to git mah glasses on: Thas' have not ahve.

 
At 11/5/22, 1:20 PM , Anonymous Rio Rancho Furniture Cleaning said...

Great bllog you have

 

Post a Comment

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here .....

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Who links to me?