l

April 2, 2012

Sensory overload .....

Today is April 2nd .... the official Light It Up Blue for Autism Awareness.
This is a cause that is very near and dear to my heart ....

Little Man was diagnosed with PDD-NOS, which puts him on the Autism Spectrum Disorders list.
When I wrote this post last year, my baby was in a VERY bad place.
So was I.
We have come so far in the last year!
I wondered some days how or if we ever would.

He continues to amaze, astound, delight, frustrate and some days, scare the bejesus out of me.
Thankfully, we have more good days than bad days.

For kids with Autism or who have ASD, the senses are a huge part of the disorder.
Both good and bad.
Most have sensory integration issues.
Like Little Man ....

Both of my Haiku this week are not only for my son, but for others with ASD.

Jello? Too squishy
Clothing tags? OUCH! Deep, sharp knife.
Too much! Make it stop!



Sight, sound, taste, smell, touch
Emotions swirling, twirling
His sensory storm

Rafa is the host for this week ... and as you may have guessed, he choose SENSE for the subject/theme.
Please go visit .... you won't be disappointed!


 LIGHT IT UP BLUE FOR AUTISM AWARENESS!!!!!





Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At 4/2/12, 7:07 AM , Anonymous daisyfae said...

very sweet post --- yay, for Little Man (and his Ma) --- for working through a tough year and making this one better!

 
At 4/2/12, 9:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My ex stepson has Aspbergers. His is at the very least of the spectrum and he could be a handful at times but he has grown out of a lot of it or, I should say, learned how to deal with it.

 
At 4/2/12, 10:44 AM , Blogger Jenny said...

Wow, beautiful Haikus that do a good job in explaining this very difficult to explain thing. The first one is the one that got to me the most. Great job this week and even better job of taking care of your son. xoxoxo

 
At 4/2/12, 12:03 PM , Blogger Walker said...

It's a battle that seems you both are winning.

 
At 4/2/12, 3:04 PM , Blogger Rafael said...

Blazng:
WOW! When yours first came down the pipe, it gave me goosebumps. I could feel the shrill pain of something hurting. Coming here to see your post and all it's meaning, I am even more impressed.

To feel the senses cut right through the bone and into one's center...truly amazing!

Thank you for sharing this with us, it was a blessing!

Rafa

 
At 4/2/12, 6:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was really enlightening, and makes me wonder about a nephew with sensory overloads/sensory output limitation disabilities. I wonder if they looked at this... I think I need to learn more. And though I don't think mine is related (high sensitivity to many inputs), I really identified with the clothing tags thing. I don't want to imagine the overload your son must carry. It is a glimpse into a difficult world you have given us with very elegant haiku. Bless you both.

Serendipity

 
At 4/2/12, 9:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually Scarlet, since my ex stepson was diagnosed with it and I sat in on the sessions, I KNOW one of my deceased friends had it and I am wondering if I didn't have a touch of it myself growing up, Aspergers was just recently accepted as being in the spectrum of Autism.

 
At 4/2/12, 9:52 PM , Blogger moi said...

A girlfriend of mine has a child whose behaviors sound similar to your son's. Twelve years old and a mechanical genius, but he can't be around certain colors or hear certain sounds or feel certain textures. He's an amazing kid, and I've had some pretty awesome interactions with him, but I know it's not always easy for his parents.

Serendipity hit the nail on the head: you described this world very elegantly.

Hugs to you both.

 
At 4/3/12, 9:29 PM , Blogger Rafael said...

Blazng:
Want to be the first to say CONGRATS!! Your haiku blew both myself and my Mom away (and she's no easy cookie).

Absolutely beautiful. I wish both you and your son blessings and hope.

Thank you for sharing--

Rafa

 
At 4/3/12, 10:40 PM , Blogger Chasing 10 said...

Congratulations on your win! I know very little about the condition you are speaking of but my hat is off to you and the incredible strength and love you have as a Mother. Your son is a very lucky young man. Glad to hear that you journey is going better. - Robin

 
At 4/4/12, 9:02 PM , Blogger darkfoam said...

Congratulations on your win! Amongst the many children I teach, I have a few autistic children as well. They are all dear and precious to me.

 

Post a Comment

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here .....

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Who links to me?